Friday, August 18, 2017

Kevin Durant and other Warriors to skip White House visit


The NBA MVP has no interest in a being photo op for a man he doesn't respect.

On Wednesday, Durant, who grew up in Seat Pleasant, Md., said he will not attend a White House reception to celebrate the Golden State Warriors’ NBA championship if President Trump invites the team.

“Nah, I won’t do that,” Durant told ESPN’s Chris Haynes on Thursday. “I don’t respect who’s in office right now.”

Speaking of Trump, Durant said, “I don’t agree with what he agrees with, so my voice is going to be heard by not doing that.”

The 2017 NBA Finals MVP added that he doesn’t suspect any members of the team will attend.

“[I]f I know my guys well enough, they’ll all agree with me,” he said, underlining that each member of the team will decide individually whether to attend.

Washington Post

It's probably marginally easier for Bay Area pro athletes to take political stands -- but Colin Kaepernick's fate shows what they risk if they cease to be stars.

But how could these proud men lend themselves to propping up an ever more forthright white supremacist?

No comments: