Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Serena crushes it

We could all use some cheer and Serena William served it up after winning her historic 22nd grand slam tennis title at Wimbledon.
She raised a fist in victory, in an echo of Tommie Smith and John Carlos' gesture of Black pride at the 1968 Olympics.

Here's Vann R. Newkirk II reporting on her post match press conference:

“I feel anyone in my color in particular is of concern. I do have nephews that I’m thinking, ‘Do I have to call them and tell them, don’t go outside. If you get in your car, it might be the last time I see you?’” Serena said. “I don’t think that the answer is to continue to shoot our young black men in the United States.”

... [Her] greatness doesn’t only come from what she accomplished inside the lines; it’s also from what she means outside of them. The most enduring image from Wimbledon won’t be of one of her 13 aces or 39 winners, but of her walking off the court, her hair streaming in the wind, as the crowd cheered on. A single fist, raised.

No comments: