Saturday, February 13, 2016

Saturday scenes and scenery: San Francisco's wall lions

While many of San Francisco's lion figures guard porch stairs, others stare out from walls. Until I began Walking San Francisco, I had no idea I'd start seeing the heads of big cats everywhere. The city swarms with lions if you are looking for them.

Now why would a lion head serve to hold the end of a beam? This one looks slightly hungry to me.

Was that mouth intended to hold a small flag -- perhaps to indicate to the mail carrier to pick up a letter? Not what I'd have thought of ...

A ferocious entryway, this one.

This king of the jungle is a mural detail.

This one may once have been functional.

This one is from our ornate, magnificent and slightly absurd City Hall. Have to have lions there after all.






1 comment:

Hattie said...

I know I pass things of interest like this every day without taking them in. These are really good photos.